Fàilte dhan Mhòd Nàiseanta Aimeireagaidh 2021 – Welcome to the 2021 US National Mòd.
Even though we can’t meet in person this year, we will gather virtually for a weekend of Scottish Gaelic song, storytelling, poetry and music.
Our adjudicators will judge the song, poetry, and storytelling competitions.
The basic cost to attend the Mòd — covering all events — is $25. There is an additional competition fee of $20, bringing the total for competitors to $45.
This year, as we go online via Zoom, we hope to welcome attendees and competitors from across North America and beyond.
Our online welcoming cèilidh will be held at Friday. Bring a song or a story if you have one (not one you’ll be using in the competitions, though) and learn more about us.
The competitions will begin at 10 am Eastern Time Saturday, Nov. 7, and our worksh0ps at 10 am Eastern Time Sunday, Nov. 8.
This year we will have competitions in:
- Gaelic singing: Two competitions, one at the beginning level (just starting out or never sang in a competition, one song of your own choice) and one at the general level (two songs of your own choice).
- Poetry: Recitation of poetry from Maraiche nan Cuantan by Flòraidh Nic Phàil.
- Original Poetry: Are you a bàrd, or an aspiring Gaelic poet? Submit an original poem.
- Storytelling: Traditional Gaelic story of up to five minutes.
- Sight reading: Reading “at first sight” a piece of Gaelic prose selected by the adjudicator.
If you are singing, we ask that you send your materials (song lyrics, and sheet music if available), to Mòd registrar Liam Ó Caiside (willbcassidy (at) gmail.com) by Saturday, Oct. 24, to give our adjudicators time to prepare for the competitions.
More information on the Sunday morning workshops will be available shortly.