Room and board are provided by Lees-McRae College, where GSLW is held. Basic single and double dorm rooms are available (all rooms are the same rate). WiFi is available to all students. Cafeteria meals are quite good and a salad bar and dessert/ice cream bar are available at most meals. Meals are provided from Sunday dinner to Friday lunch. Additional cafeteria meals and dorm room nights are available for a reasonable charge from the college for those staying for the Highland Games. Unfortunately, the cafeteria can not provide gluten/wheat free meals, but there are restaurants and grocery stores that can meet your needs in the local area.
Temperatures range from low 60s to mid 80s during July – normally beautiful and cool. However, it can be very warm or wet and cold. It is advisable to bring a fan for your room and blanket for your bed. Shorts and lightweight long pants are appropriate, as are t-shirts, lightweight sweaters, and sun hats. Fleeces and heavy sweaters may be needed as well. A raincoat or umbrella is advised, just in case the weather doesn’t cooperate.
- Bed linens, pillow, blanket
- Towels, wash cloths, toiletries
- Room fan
- Desk lamp
- Casual clothing for cool / warm weather
- Walking / hiking shoes
- Swimsuit/ fishing equipment
- Raincoat / umbrella
- Flash light
- Classroom items:
- Gaelic reference books
- Sound recorder and/or pen & paper for note-taking
- Props for cèilidh
- Musical instruments
- Items to donate for Silent Auction
- Cash or checkbook for Silent auction—great bargains!
- Dancing shoes (if you are a dancer and would like to attend any of the evenings of social dancing at the Thistle School of Scottish Country Dance, $5.00 per night)
- Gaelic Language videos to share with the group at night (examples are An Ceasnachadh, An Cridhe Cabaireach & The Blood is Strong)